A Land Far Away: Sea of Swords is a Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition persistent world made up of three portal-linked servers, based on the D&D 3.5e rulebook and set in the Sea of Swords region of the Forgotten Realms campaign world.
Read more below – or just dive right in, by logging in to any of our servers via the in-game server list! All three server names start with ‘ALFA: SOS’, and all custom game content is downloaded automatically when you first log in.
An open world, on a vast scale
Our world is made up of three linked game servers: Daggerford, Baldur’s Gate, and the Moonshae Isles. Players travel between the servers using automated server portal, enabling your character to roam across a vast portion of the classic Forgotten Realms setting.
Story comes first
A Land Far Away (‘ALFA’) is a roleplay-first setting, where players create characters that live in a persistent, plausible fantasy world. Our servers strive to create a fun game that emulates the spirit of classic tabletop D&D in a persistent, online game.
A powerful heritage
The ALFA project is over 20 years old. Read more about our philosophy, gameplay and rules approach – as well as our history and the development of the current ‘unofficial’ NWN: Enhanced Edition ALFA projects.
ALFA: Sea of Swords, launched in 2022, aims to continue the strong tradition of story-based D&D gaming that ALFA embodies, using the Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition game platform.
The ALFA: Sea of Swords Servers
ALFA: Sea of Swords is a world of interesting characters and meaningful consequences unlike anything you will find in a traditional MMO. Forget grinding and instead blaze your own path to glory or infamy in whatever interesting way you can think of… or die trying.
As we say: Welcome to ALFA, and good luck with your second character!
Where to start
You can access our servers via the in-game server browser; simply sort the list by Name and look for the servers beginning with the word ‘ALFA’.
There are currently three live servers in the Sea of Swords persistent world. The first choice you will need to make is… where to begin? You can choose any of the three servers as your starting point, but remember – you can easily travel between the servers, once you’ve gained enough coin and courage for the journey. ALFA is one world; there are no boundaries to your exploration, so long as you’re willing to accept the risk.
A rugged archipelago of innumerable islands, large and small, far out at sea away from the mainland. The Isles provide a unique, rural setting for campaigns and exploration.
The famous city of Baldur’s Gate dominates the area of the Sword Coast between Daggerford and Amn. In stark contrast to the Moonshaes, It is a cosmopolitan metropolis where all manner of races and creed can be found, and magic is abundant.
The area between the two great cities of the Sword Coast—Waterdeep and Baldur’s Gate—is dominated by the Duchy of Daggerford, a modest walled city that grew from roots as a farming settlement, but which has grand ambitions and grave dangers.
Gameplay in ALFA: Sea of Swords
As of October 2022, the three servers are all live, share a common character vault and are linked by server portal.
Like all NWN live server projects, our world is constantly being developed and updated with new content, custom features, and custom mechanics. Our builders and scripters work hard to make awesome and fun stuff for players to do – whilst our DMs work hard to create enthralling character and server plots and campaign stories.
Features and gameplay – current and in-development
- Dungeons and Loot
- A huge number of static dungeons exist in our worlds, providing challenging opportunities for exploration, enemy encounters and rewards. Each player character may defeat a dungeon boss once and cash in a loot note for that boss with a DM for unique loot! The number of exciting dungeons and hostile exploration zones is constantly expanding as we continue to expand our world.
- Automated Player Housing
- Our incredible custom housing system allows you to fully design the interior of your property, with total control over selection of placeable furniture and decorations, and persistent storage. Furniture is purchased at the furniture shop!
- Available rentals change over time, so keep an eye out for new real estate on the market!
- Currently implemented on Baldur’s Gate – coming soon to Moonshaes and Daggerford servers.
- Custom player group/faction housing can also be built!
- Mining requires harvesting lumber to build supports as you dig.
- Tunnels dug in mines persist; you can carve your own path into the darkness of the underground world of Faerun!
- Different deposits have different ore veins.
- Enemies will often appear as you mine, so be careful and bring friends.
- Craft Weapon checks can be used to identify useful veins of ore in mined stones.
- Smelt 10 metal ores into an ingot for use in crafting.
- Our complex and engaging custom brewing system requires the use of various equipment for distilling and preparing ingredients before you begin mixing your creation. A wide and ever-expanding range of potions can be brewed currently.
- Requires Brewing feat (caster level 3).
- Brewing tables are typically found in faction headquarters. Player characters can gain access by completing faction quests.
- Enchanting / Craft Wondrous Item (IN TESTING)
- Currently in testing on Baldur’s Gate server.
- Requires Craft Wondrous Item feat and Spellcraft skill check.
- Uses magical creature components, and metal smelted from mined ore.
- Different components will allow for different enchantments.
- Crafting Weapons/Armor (IN DEVELOPMENT)
- A detailed weapon and armor crafting system is currently in development. Will require Craft Weapon/Craft Armor skill check.